Old chennai-[madras city and madras state]- photo gallery-Chennai name originated in china-patnam
Major-General the Hon. Arthur Wellesley being received in durbar at the Chepauk Palace Madras by Azim al-Daula, Nawab of the Carnatic, 18th February 1805.--Artist: Chinnery, George (1774-1852) Medium: Watercolour with pencil, pen and ink Date: 1805
|Plan of Fort St George,Chennai 1726|
CHEPAUK PALACE, that genesis of the Indo-Saracenic School of architecture, is impossible to be seen in its handsome entirety today, hidden as it is by the buildings that have come up around it. Even its vast grounds are no longer visible, Chepauk Park is but a sad memory. And this sad stage of affairs is not wholly due to present-day development; it began when the `Government' of the time took over the palace and park 150 years ago.
When Mohammed Ali Wallajah, friend of the British, died, he was succeeded as the Nawab of Carnatic by his son Umdat-ul-Umrah, no favourite of the Council in Fort. St. George. Accusing him of having conspired with Tippu Sultan during the Fourth Mysore War, Lord Edward Clive sent his soldiers in to occupy the palace in 1801, annexed the Carnatic in consequence of the settlement of the Carnatic debts and reduced the Nawabocracy to a Titular Nawabship. When the last Titular Nawab, Ghulam Ghouse Khan Bahadur, died in 1855, the British decided to make its occupancy of the palace permanent by moving out of it, its chief occupant, thereafter to be known as the Prince of Arcot. After a series of moves, Amir Mahal became the home of the successive Princes of Arcot, who from 1868 began receiving a pension from the Government, various tax exemptions and the maintenance costs of their new home. These obligations are still met by the Government of India, honouring the agreements of the Victoria era, as they do for three other princes as well, those of Tanjore, Calicut and Oudh.
With Chepauk Palace now vacant, the Madras Government decided to legitimise its occupancy by putting up the property for sale in 1859. When Government was the only party that could meet the minimum asking price, it took over the ownership of Chepauk Palace and its host of outbuildings, Marine Villa by the Cooum and their 117 acres for Rs. 5.8 lakhs. And into the palace it moved several Government offices, beginning the process of decline.
|Plan of Fort St George,Chennai 1764|
Water-colour painting of a view from the Mess House of Poonamallee Fort by an unknown artist, dated to circa 1810. Inscribed on the front in pencil is: 'Poonamallee Fort from the Mess House.' Poonamallee, near Chennai (Madras) in Tamil Nadu, was formally a garrison town for the British Army containing a hospital and ordnance depot. The fort shown here is heavily fortified with battered high masonry walls and round projecting bastions.
View of black [George] town, Madras-Photograph Of Black Town in Madras, taken by Frederick Fiebig in c.1851. Madras was founded in 1639 by the British East India Company and was the first important English settlement in India. Black Town was originally the old native quarter and grew up outside the walls of Fort St George to the north on the seafront. In the 18th century, Europeans moved out of the fort and into Black Town. This is a view of a street with colonial buildings in the European section. As Madras grew, Black Town became the commercial centre of the city and developed a very high population density. Its grid pattern layout is the earliest example of English town planning on a large scale in India. Three broad streets intersected the town, with narrow, irregular streets running in between. Its name was officially changed to george Town after a visit by the Prince of Wales in 1906. Little seems to be known about Frederick Fiebig. He was probably born in Germany and became a lithographer (and possibly was also a piano teacher) in Calcutta, publishing a number of prints in the 1840s. In the late 1840s Fiebig turned to photography using the calotype process, producing prints that were often hand-coloured. His photographs includes several hundred views of Calcutta in the early 1850s, one of the earliest detailed studies of a city, a large hand coloured collection of which were bought by the East India Company in 1856, their first major acquisition of photographs. Among the roughly 500 pictures were views of Calcutta, Madras, Sri Lanka, Mauritius and Cape Town.
View of bridge over the Chintadrepettah River near the Government Gardens, Madras, built by Lieutenant Thomas Fraser
Water-colour drawing of a bridge over the Chintadrepettah River near the Government Gardens, Chennai (Madras) by Lieutenant Thomas Fraser (1776-1823) in 1805. Inscribed on the back in ink is: 'For Sir John Sinclair Bart of Ulster. View of the Bridge over the Chintadrepettah River near the Government Gardens at Madras. Constructed in the Years 1804 & 5 by Lieut Thomas Fraser of the Corps of Engineers.'
View of Madras looking south from the fort, with main landmarks numbered--Water-colour drawing of Madras (Chennai) looking south from the fort, with the main landmarks numbered by Edwin George Taynton (1809-1845), c.1838. Inscribed on the original label is: 'View along the South Beach. 1. Government House. 2. Banqueting Room (detached) 3. The Mount. 4. Palaveram. 5. Conspicuous Mosque. 6. Marine Bungalow, in Govt Garden. 7. The Ice House. 8. St Thome. Drawn with Camera Lucida by Capt Taynton from the Quarter Master Genl's Office in the Fort. The colouring is rather too cold.'Chennai (Madras) lies on the Bay of Bengal in the north-east corner of Tamil Nadu. It was founded in 1639 when Francis Day of the East India Company acquired land for a warehouse or ‘factory’ which was completed on 23 April 1640. The fort was constructed on the seafront in the early 1640s as the Company’s headquarters on the Coromandel Coast. It was initially a trading post and base for European residents, becoming the home of the Presidency government and one of India’s major ports and mercantile centres. Many historic buildings were erected within its confines, including the Accountant-General’s Office, used as Government House until 1799, the Secretariat, and St Mary’s Church, the oldest surviving Anglican church in Asia. It initially consisted of a rectangular enclosure with four bastions but was gradually expanded and strengthened with formidable parapets during the 17th and 18th centuries to protect it from the armies of the French, Dutch, the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb and the Marathas.Old Ambulance
Beach from top view
A View Fom light house top [ beach ]
Napiers Bridge 1895 [Near Beach]
Car Show room
Chennai Central 1925
Building Next to central
Central Railway Station
Egmore Railway Station
Egmore Railway Station Inside
Egmore Railway Station waiting room
Mount Road Annasalai
Mount Road From another angle
Spencers Shoping world
Triplicane pycraft road
Images of British India CLICK AND SEE:-http://peopleofindia1868-1875photos.blogspot.in/2011/11/images-of-british-india.html
Refreshment stall in station - Madras Railway-1880.[photo taken before electric lights were discovered.3 big kerosene lantern can be seen hanging]
Domestic servants at Madras in Tamil Nadu, taken by Nicholas & Curths in c. 1870
After photography was introduced into India in the 1840s it rapidly grew in popularity, particularly as a means to record the vast diversity of people and their dress, manners, trades, customs and religions. The first official attempt to create a comprehensive record of Indian types was the 'The People of India'; an ethnographical survey edited by John Forbes Watson and John William Kaye, and published in eight volumes from 1868 to1875. This image shows four domestic servants in a European household posed in the act of performing various tasks. It was shown at the Vienna Exhibition of 1873 and is mentioned in Watson's exhibition catalogue.
Photograph of carpenters at work at Madras in Tamil Nadu, taken by Nicholas & Curths in c. 1870,Carpenters and woodcarvers in Tamil Nadu come from the Kammaalar caste and the type of work performed is dictated by caste divisions. Carpenters produce complex carved work for temples, including temple cars, ornately carved front doors and verandah columns for houses, musical instruments and agricultural implements. After photography was introduced into India in the 1840s it rapidly grew in popularity, particularly as a means to record the vast diversity of people and their dress, manners, trades, customs and religions. Amateur photographers became increasingly interested in ethnography. In the early 1860s the Governor General of India Lord Canning commissioned ethnographical photographs for the whole of India
After photography was introduced into India in the 1840s it rapidly grew in popularity, particularly as a means to record the vast diversity of people and their dress, manners, trades, customs and religions. The first official attempt to create a comprehensive record of Indian types was the 'The People of India'; an ethnographical survey edited by John Forbes Watson and John William Kaye, and published in eight volumes from 1868 to1875. This image of a group posed with bills at the doorway of a house is from the series of 'Photographs illustrating various native classes, occupations, &c....Native bill collectors,' shown at the Vienna Exhibition of 1873 and mentioned in Watson's catalogue of the Vienna Exhibition.
"A Strolling Minstrel at Madras Playing the Tingadee"*, 1876
Tiruchirapalli (1895)AND MADURAI 1800'S
Curry & rice," on forty plates or, The ingredients of social life at "our station" in India. 3d ed. Published 1900 b
TRICHINOPOLY RAILWAY STATION IN SOUTH INDIA 1876-[UPPER PHOTO]
Cap Comorin [kanya kumari] 1834
India. Original steel engraving drawn by W. Daniell, engraved by J. C. Armytage. 1834. No title on the plate. Good condition. Hand-coloured. 14,5x10cm. Matted.
Cataracte De Pupanassum [paapa naasam falls]
India. Original steel engraving drawn by W. Daniell, engraved by J. H. Kernot. 1834. No title on the plate. Good condition. Hand-coloured. 14,5x10cm. Matted
CLICK AND READ THE BOOK
poodalur 1946-men of "untouchable" caste-Source: Life Archive Hosted by Google Photographer: Margaret Bourke-White
*"Small Sport in India"*, from The Graphic, 1882
To India on P&O Steamer Cathay"*, 1883
*"Pig Sticking in India"*, from The Graphic, 1883
Quail Snaring with Trained Cattle"*, 1883
"Preparing for a Race Meeting"*, 1880
en Days' Sporting Trip in the Jungle of India"*, from The Graphic, 1880
"Lime Cutting in India"*, 1885
"An Unwelcome Visitor-- A Frequent Incident of Anglo-Indian Life"*, from The Graphic, 1879
Shooting the Ibex"*, 1880
*"Wood Carver, 1877
"The Modern Juggernauth"*, 1877
"Crossing a Nullah in the Terai"*,
Padding a Tiger"*, 1876
A Tiger Hunting Party"*, 1876
"Entry of the Prince of Wales into a City of India"*, 1876
*"On the Way to India: Southhampton"*, 1876
"A Strolling Minstrel at Madras Playing the Tingadee"*, 1876