Rags-to-riches story of a man who supported his own studies



BHUBANESWAR: Thirty-eight-year-old Sitaram Dash had come to Bhubaneswar in 1995 with Rs 20 in his pocket, and a bicycle. Today, he is an administrative executive with a private company. What is most refreshing about his rags-to-riches story is the fact that he supported his education himself, by working as a newspaper vendor. Even today, he has not left his job.

Dash, a native of Kumunda village in Ganjam district, belongs to a very poor family. Being the youngest of five sisters and three brothers, Dash saw his father struggle to make both ends meet. "He was a poor village priest. Somehow, he managed to provide us with the basic needs of food and clothing, but supporting our higher education was a far cry," he said.

"When I wanted to join degree course after completing my Plus II, my father said he could not continue any further, and asked me to join him as a priest. It was then that I decided to come to Bhubaneswar," Dash added.

I started delivering newspapers and got Rs 300 a month. Then I started giving private tuitions to school students and managed to get Rs 1,300 to 1,500 a month. "I used to send a portion of my income to my family and save a little for future. I had spent several nights in railway platform because I had to reach Master Canteen square by 4 am, and pick up my bundle," Dash maintained.

After struggling for a couple of years, Dash bought 250 newspaper subscriptions in hostels of Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology ( OUAT) from another vendor by paying him Rs 14,000. "This helped me a lot to increase my income and also brought me in touch with university students, many of whom were preparing for different competitive exams. They inspired me to continue with my education through distance mode and I completed my graduation and post graduation," Dash added.

Describing newspaper hawking as a tough job, he said, "We are expected to deliver the newspaper on time everyday. Most customers expect to receive their newspapers by 6 or 6.30 am. You cannot take a day off. I have a friend who delayed the funeral of his mother just to deliver newspapers on time, and another, who went to work a day after his wedding. This is what most of us have to go through."

Dash's life took a new turn in 2008, when he got the job of an administrative executive in a micro-finance company. But despite a respectable job, Dash continues newspaper vending. "I feel delivering newspaper is my primary job. Four needy students are now helping me in delivering newspapers and they are also supporting their education through this," said Dash.

No comments:

Post a Comment